Leon Thurman, B.A., M.S., Ed.D., is Specialist Voice Educator at The Leon Thurman Voice Center, his private voice education practice in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
From 1995 through 2007, he was Specialist Voice Educator at Fairview Voice Center, University of Minnesota Medical Center in Minneapolis.
Dr. Thurman provides one-to-one voice skill sessions for singers and speakers, and he presents clinics, workshops, tutorials, seminars, and study courses on speaking and singing abilities, voice health, voice protection, and what he refers to as human compatible learning and teaching.
He also is:
- Founder and faculty (now retired), The VoiceCare Network [www.voicecarenetwork.org]
- Principal author and co-editor, Bodymind and Voice: Foundations of Voice Education, an 18-author, 3-volume ‘encyclopedia’ of evidence-based voice knowledge and practice [info & ordering: www.voicecarenetwork.org]
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Research in Choral Singing [www.choralresearch.org]
Past clients have been:
- children (when appropriate)
- adolescents with changing and changed voices
- older adults
- job seekers (effective interviews)
- teachers & professors
- actors, entertainers, TV & radio personalities
- business executives
- business employees (sales, receptionists)
- Human Resources departments
- candidates for elected office
- professional and amateur theatre organizations
- school districts
- law firms
- colleges and universities
- choral, music educator, and voice associations